Basic Conversation in Chinese (Level 1)
Target Public :
Students, professionals, business people, retirees and anyone seeking an initiation into the Chinese language for reasons of personal or professional interest. This course will familiarize you with Chinese cultural habits so that you can participate in everyday activities with ease and confidence during business or pleasure trips to countries in which Chinese is spoken (Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macau, Singapore and mainland China).
Course Formats :
- Small-group lessons
- Private or semi-private lessons
Languages Taught :
Chinese : Basic conversation
Other Languages : This module may be offered in other languages.
Please consult us.
Levels Offered :
- Level 1 : Beginner
- Level 2 : Elementary (pre-requisite: level 1 or equivalent *)
* Equivalent level determined by mandatory placement test
Teaching Approach and Content :
IMPORTANT: This course is conducted in French and Chinese.
The course will enable you to learn:
- The basic elements of Chinese phonetics;
- Common usage of basic vocabulary;
- Basic grammar concepts;
- Common turns of phrase and expressions.
The educational approach features:
- Simple and concise explanations of grammar and vocabulary;
- Frequent oral practice;
- Interactive conversation and role-playing.
Frequency of Meetings :
For this type of course, 1 class per week of 3 hours’ duration for 7 weeks is recommended. Alternatively, a seminar of 7 hours per day offered over three days, each separated by a week’s interval might be suitable. Other scheduling options are open for discussion.
Course Duration :
21 hours of training.
From 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., Monday to Friday. Considerable flexibility to start courses on the date of your choice. Weekend workshop(s) also a possibility. Please contact us.
This module can be given at the UQAM Language School Centre, or at a location of your choice.
Steps and Follow-up :
Step 1 :
- A needs analysis and self-assessment by each participant
- A placement evaluation (oral test)
Step 2 :
- Discussion of the frequency of meetings and of the composition of groups for evaluation purposes.
Step 3 :
- Start of course
- Two Teaching evaluations, mid-way and at the end of the course
- A regular record of hours completed
- A detailed written report for each participant at the end of each course
- A training certificate and evaluation
Sliding-scale fees for groups. Please contact us.
Course Material :
The teaching manual is “ Le Chinois à la portée de tous” (volume 1 : 1 book and 2 audio cassettes) for the total price of $40.« Back to Course Catalogue